Vasiliki Michopoulou has been awarded as the “Greek Science Writer of the Year 2017” by the Association of British Science Writers (absw) while she was a nominee for the European Science Writer of the Year 2017 (absw). She also received the “Woman Journalist of the year 2018” award from the VOTRE BEAUTE Magazine.
The main goal of science communication is to promote and popularize science, to strengthen the picture of the researcher in society, to inspire young people to follow science and to help the public understand science as part of their real lives.
— Anne Roe, The Making of a Scientist (1953)
By telling a science story in a way that engages, inspires and motivates the people you want to reach you create unforgettable connections. With twenty four years of professional experience in covering and managing breaking news for Radio and Television Broadcasts Vasiliki Michopoulou can also provide production of videos and documentaries (including interactive documentaries, podcasts and voiceovers) of research and scientific projects for dissemination and awareness purposes, while she can contribute to producing events and media content from concept to completion for clients across the country.
Better words get better results. Vasiliki Michopoulou is an expert in the science of written persuasion. With both a scientific and journalistic background, she provides expert copywriting services for researchers and research institutions. She can produce high-quality, accurate, clear writing about research for all audiences including:
· Press releases
· Website editing
· Freelance Writing
· Social Media monitoring
· Mentoring Press Offices
· Researcher biographies
· Blog posts and features
· And much more...
A wealth of experience delivering scientific and media strategies to solve a broad range of challenging communication problems. Vasiliki Michopoulou has a successful track record of providing expert advice and opinions on various science communication issues including:
· Media Strategic Planning and Leadership Training for Labs
· Lab’s Public Relations and Branding Consulting
· CV/resume writing
· Bespoke reportage and communications for specific projects
· Organizing events for distribution and communication of science in public (conferences, Info days, science cafes, scientific workshops)
· Booking speakers and promoting events
· And much more...
Vasiliki Michopoulou with many years of media experience can help scientists and young researches build media skills by providing training courses and workshops for individuals and research groups. By creating customized training she helps scientists to tell complex research-based stories to the public. Services include completely confidential and customized training on various issues including:
· Public speaking
· Communicating with new stakeholders
· Public and media relations
· Working with reporters
· Innovative forms of science communication
· Engaging audiences
· Speaking techniques
· Non-verbal communication techniques
· Giving great interviews
· Telling science stories
· And much more...
As a journalist, focusing on an array of scientific and technology topics Vasiliki Michopoulou has attended courses, international training seminars, press study trips and workshops in science journalism and communication by receiving fellowship at several European Schools of Science Journalism. She she has given a lot of key note speeches and workshops across Greece, while she has participated as Media advisor in groups for Pharmaceutical companies.
(Member of organizing Committee)
– Aegean Science Festival 2021, Limnos island,Greece September 2021
– European Sudies Summer School "An. EU. Affair"Analytics on European Current Affairs", Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence, University of Peloponnese, July 2021 Athens
– Athens Science virtual Festival 2021 "An Era of Heroes", April 2021
– 4th International Congress Genedis 2020 on Gegetics, Geriatrics and Neurodegenerative diseases research congress. October 2020, Heraklion, Crete,Greece
– 8th Summer School in Environmental Journalism, Crete, July 2019- Regional Press Institute (RPI)
– Athens Re-Science Festival 2019 “Something is changing”, April 2019
– 3rd International Congress Genedis 2018 on Gegetics, Geriatrics and Neurodegenerative diseases research congress. October 2018, Toronto, Canada
– 7th Summer School in Environmental Journalism, Crete, July 2018- Regional Press Institute (RPI)
– Athens Science Festival 2018 “Science without borders”, April 2018
– Athens Science Festival 2017 “Shaping our Future”, April 2017
– Congress: «Bibliography as a dynamic “tool” for Science. Νovember 2016, Αthens
– 2nd International Congress Genedis 2016 on Genetics, Geriatrics and Neurodegenerative diseases research congress. October 2016, Sparta. Greece
– 1st International Congress Genedis 2014 on Genetics, Geriatrics and Neurodegenerative diseases research congress. March 2014, Corfu Greece
– OpenLivingLab Days "Co-creating innovation:scaling up from Local to Global",Thessaloniki
September 2019. OpenLivingLab Days (OLLD) is the annual gathering of the global Living Lab
community. A space for public officials, companies, entrepreneurs, academics, living lab
representatives, and innovators to connect and work together: to create new products and
services, to set the basis for debate and exploration of theories, and to discuss and process
policy recommendations within the practical elements of open and user-driven innovation. Through
interactive panel discussions, hands-on workshops with leading experts and site visits to our
local partners, OLLD offers an exclusive networking and knowledge sharing experience.
– “Kalamata 1821: Roads of Freedom”. Operational project in the region of Peloponnese in the frame of PA (Partnership Agreement for the Development Framework) 2014-2020 which constitutes the main strategic plan for growth in Greece with the contribution of significant resources originating from the European Structural and Investment Funds (ESIF) of the European Union. The project is under the auspices of the Hellenic Republic. July 2018-2021
– "Neuroeducation-Enhancement of cognitive abilities of people with Mild Cognitive Disorder through a measurable behavioral study NEURO-EDUCATION MIS 5016113" funded by the Ionian Islands Region. "Design of the information system, which will support the cognitive reinforcement and the remediation of memory deficits" in the laboratory of Bioinformatics & Human Electrophysiology of the Ionian University (BiHELab) ", within the program (code 80328) NSRF 2014-2020, PEPIS IONI. From 2/1 to 31/1, 2019
– Dissemination within the framework of the PE: "Guidance and consulting services in matters of entrepreneurship and innovation" in the framework of the program (code 80202) NSRF 2007-2013, Sectoral, EPEDBM: "Innovation and Entrepreneurship Unit (IKU) of the Ionian University (Phase II) "funded by the European Union (European Social Fund) and national resources,2014-2016
– Media Advocacy Summer school on environmental journalism, July 2019, Chania, Crete
– Science Diplomacy (oral presentation), April 2019 Medical School University of Patras
– “Share your Research!”, Workshop for young researchers, December 2018, Medical Physics Laboratory, School of Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
– “Where science Journalism meets Policy” (Seminar), December 2018, School of Political Sciences of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
– “Bioengineering in the media”(oral presentation), December 2018, Hellenic Society of Biomedical Technology. International conference on Biotechnology, entrepreneurship, co-working and communication, Thessaloniki, Greece
– Share your Research (oral presentation), July 2018 Foundation for Research and Technology Hellas, Crete
– Transnational Advocacy Networks: The case of the Climate Action network(CAN). Summer school on environmental journalism, July 2018, Chania, Crete
– Share your Research (oral presentation), May 2018 Medical School University of Patras
– “An Introduction to Science Journalism”, January 2018, School of Journalism and Mass Communications of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
– “Dealing with the Press”(oral presentation). International Workshop on e-Health & e-Care Platform, Ionian University, Corfu, Greece May 2016
– Moderator in “Athens Science Festival”. Panel:CERN:”Accelerator” of life? Organization CERN.Technopolis, Aril 2016, Athens
– “Greece and the Structural Fund: the contribution of investigative journalism”(oral presentation). Department of Economics of the School of Economics and Management, University of Peloponnese (U.O.P), 9 December 2014,Tripoli
– “In & Out of The Lab Science and Technology in The public sphere”(oral presentation). International Scientific Conference School of Journalism & Mass Communication, Aristotle University 14-15 March 2014, Thessaloniki City Hall
-“Bridging the gap between Science and Journalism”(oral presentation).10 December 2013-Ionian University Corfu.
– Falling Walls Conference November 2019, Berlin, Germany
– 7th Heidelberg Laureates Forum. September 2019, Heidelberg, Germany
– International Journalism Festival, Perugia, Italy, April 2019
– Euroscience Open Forum -ESOF 2018 “Sharing Science: Towards New Horizons”, Toulouse June 2018
– 5th European Conference for Science Journalist (ECSJ), Toulouse June 2018
– 68th Lindau Nobel Laureates Meeting, June 2018, Lindau Germany
– ΙΝΝΟVEIT 2017. October 2017,Budapest
– 5th Heidelberg Laureates Forum. September 2017, Heidelberg, Germany
– 67th Lindau Nobel Laureates Meeting. June 2017, Lindau Germany
– 9th European Public Health Conference. “All for Health and health for All”. November 2016, Vienna
– 17th Annual Congress the European Health Forum Gastein (EHFG). «DEMOGRAPHICS & DIVERSITY IN EUROPE – NEW SOLUTIONS FOR HEALTH». September 2016, Bad Hofgastein, Austria.
– ΙΝΝΟVEIT 2016. 25-26 April 2016,Budapest.
– Media Advisory Group for Boheringer Ingelheim.March 2016.Frankfurt
– ClimateLaunchPad 2015. September 2015, Amsterdam
– 1st EAN (European Academy of Neurology) Congress 2015. June 2015, Berlin
– ΙΝΝΟVEIT 2015, Μay 2015, Budapest.
– Media Cluster Meeting on Promoting patient safety and Quality of Care:The EU contribution to national actions. December 2014, Rome, Ιtaly
– Falling Walls Conference, November 2014, Berlin
– Euroscience Open Forum -ESOF 2014 “Science Building Bridges”. Copenhagen June 2016
– 1st European Conference for Science Journalist (ECSJ). Copenhagen, June 2014
– Greece and European Union at the crossroads of critical Developments : Policies, Strategic Choices and Prospects”. December 2013-Department of Political Science and International Relations, University of Peloponnese (U.Ο.P)
– 16th Annual Congress the European Health Forum Gastein (EHFG). “Resilient and Innovative Health Systems in Europe”. To make health systems resilient against crisis and also to boost and finance innovations is a hard challenge in these days of crisis, poverty and pressure. October 2013, Bad Hofgastein, Austria
– DG Enterprise and Industry -European Industrial Policy. Brussels June 2013- Εuropean Journalism Center
– China and the ‘Other’s: Continuities and Discontinuities relations of China with Europe and the world. December 2012-Department of Political Science and Public Administration, University of Athens and of Peloponnese (Jean Monnet Chair for EU-Least Developed Countries)
– 1st Bioethics Summer Course of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Bioethics Academy, Athens,
– The video verification toolkit:the journalist as a data worker by Meedan, International Journalism Festival, Perugia, Italy, April 2019
– The future of journalism: by design by Dverse media and Walkley magazine, International Journalism Festival, Perugia, Italy, April 2019
– Investigative journalism: a global toolbox by Global Investigative Journalism network, International Journalism Festival, Perugia, Italy, April 2019
– Protecting your sources and managing your data by Nothing2Hide network, July 2018 Toulouse
– Data visualization for environmental reporting by Northeastern University in Boston, July 2018 Toulouse
– Speed pitching by Newscientist and Bayerische Rundfunk, July 2018 Toulouse
– Kavli workshop on Science Editing by Knight Science Journalism Program at MIT, ESOF,July 2018 Toulouse
– Workshop on “Health Work environments, active health and disease prevention at workplace”. June 2017, Lisbon, Portugal
– Workshop on “Enhancing evidence-informed decision-making to support resilient and sustainable health systems in Europe“. November 2016, Vienna
– Press trip: Beyond Oil. Trodheim, Norway, June 2016
– Workshop on “Targeting media, civil society and health professionals relating to the implementation of the Decision 1028/2013 on serious cross border threats to health”, Perl Nennig, Germany, June 2016
– Press trip: The Science Visit “Health Technologies 2.0”, Tartu & Tallinn, Estonia, May 2016
– Communication Workshop:“Effective Communications Skills Through Public Speaking” moderated by Professor Charles Hall of Alfaisal University as an interactive, participatory group exercise.Institute of International Relations(I.I.R) of Panteion University. Athens, 29 October 2015
– Press trip: “Renewable Energies in Baden-Wurttemberg”. Germany, Οctober 2015
– International School of Science Journalism/Ettore Majorana Foundation for Scientific Culture, Fellowship for the course: Brain Imaging and Cognitive Neuroscience May 2013- European Union of Science Journalist’s Association(EUSJA)
– AMERICAN STUDIES SEMINAR “Coming Together: How Diversity and Tolerance can Build a Stronger Nation”. April 2013-Department of Political Science and International Relations, University of Peloponnese (U.Ο.P)
– Grundtvig Program (Workshop): Together for Democracy, Human Rights and Tolerance. April 2013- Europaische Bildungsakademie, Berlin
– ECFIN seminar for 18 journalists from the Euro-area. December 2012-Εuropean Journalism Center, Brussels
– “E-Books. From Theory to Practice”. April 2013-Pts. Live Learn Lead
– e-learning program for sustainable development on “Climate Change”. November 2012-Biopolitics International Organisation – B.I.O
– e-learning: « International Reporting. Basics:What you need to know before you go»,November 2012-International Report boot camp Poynter’s University of USA
– 2nd Summer School in Environmental Journalism, Crete, August 2012-Regional Press Institute (RPI)
– Photoreading Τechnique allows rapid reading of all types of texts. April 2010-Learning Strategies Corporation
– Τraining course on right voice usage “Orthophonia-Morphophononology”. May 2008-Journalists’ Union of Athens Daily Newspapers (ESIEA)
– «Wild Life»November 1991-Greek Society for the Protection of Nature
Doctors get cancer too, but not many of them choose to make a documentary film about the experience. Vasiliki Michopoulou talked to some who did, and asked them why?Read
A Greece-born human geneticist, leading researcher of the human genome. He contributed to the understanding of the molecular bases of monogenic disorders and complex genetic disorders including the beta-thalassemias, hemophilias, and trisomy 21, and the functional variability of the human genome.Read
He is an expert on Education and Family Policy in Germany for more than thirty years. Professor Wassilis Fthenakis is considered to be the top opinion leader of the country on education, family and growth of children issues, and even consultant of Chancellors.Read
President of the largest IT company in the world named "Temenos" is developing software for 600 banks in 130 countries.Read
Τhe CERN Director-General and the first woman to hold this position, the Italian Fabiola Gianotti, leads a team of 3.000 scientists who proved the existence of the "God particle". One of the leading researchers of natural science in the world, speaks exclusively to "K" magazine.Read
As the Chief Scientist for USNO's Time Services, dr. Demetrios Matsakis sometimes is called as "Father time", or one of the time lords. He's one of the few people around the world who manage, monitor and measure time.Read
This tiny watchmaking workshop in the heart of Athens has history of a century. A third-generation watchmaker rejected a tempting proposal from a Swiss company, choosing to continue the family tradition.Read
As an expert in Design, Supervision and Project Management for all sorts of Electrical and Mechanical Projects he deals with Architectural and Urban Lighting enlighting some of the gretatest monuments in Europe, such as the Temple of Parthenon, Sacred Rock of Acropolis, Temple of Haephestus (Thission), Philoppapou monument, Ancient theatre of Dionyssus, Archaeological site of Elefsis, Ioannina Castle, Nafpaktos Medieval Harbor e.t.c.Read
He is a successful, self-made, imaginative Greek businessman famous in Germany for providing ... intelligence to industrial robots for auto industry in whole Europe and Asia.His customers are large companies such as Mercedes, Audi, BMW, VW e.t.c.Read
The leading Greek Professor Nikos Logothetis, the famous explorer of thought, by using the MRI managed to make the biggest achievement in understanding the mechanism of our most complex and most valuable organ, the brain.Read
At Mecca of modern science, in the famous CERN (European Nuclear Research Organization) center, where the largest experiment of the world is taking place, we met Professor Manolis Tsesmeli, who leads a part of the research. The goal is to find and explain all that is related to the theory of Big Bang and the origin of the world.Read
Director of the Department of Psychiatry and Geriatric Psychiatry at the University Hospital of Geneva, professor at Geneva and Lausanne Universities, Pantelis Giannakopoulos has made a long journey inside human psychology.Read
With origin from a traditional watchmakers family from Istanbul he has been manufacturing mechanical watches in Switzerland since 1973. Deeply acquainted with his art and awarded for his G (Genève) design, in recent years he has turned on jewelers and precious stones. He talks about the course of his life and... the wasted time.Read
Car designer Sotiris Kovos is the man who changed the automotive lines of the century. The famous award-winning Yaris is just one of the cars which brings his signature.Read
Writter's nickname at the time, Evi Κonstantinidou
The electronic security systems at Olympic facilities of London are designed and produced at Olympia Electronics. It is the first and unique in its kind Greek company and one of the ten largest in Europe. The chairman and chief executive of the company shares its history.Read
Dr.Katerina Harvati is a paleoanthropologist specializing in Neanderthal evolution, modern human origins and the application of 3-D geometric morphometric methods to paleoanthropologyRead
Writter's nickname at the time, Evi Κonstantinidou
A physicist by training, Krimigis, who emigrated to the United States from the Greek island of Chios where he used to gaze at the stars from his beachfront village, designs scientific instruments for space.Read
Writter's nickname at the time, Evi Κonstantinidou
It is the most innovative material in the world - its discovery has been awarded with Nobel, EU financed its research with one billion euros, and its possible applications are able to revolutionize areas such as health and energy and communications. Dr. Galiotis is the Principal Investigator of the ERC Advanced – Tailoring Graphene project.Read
The goal of his life is to save and enhance Nikos Kazantzakis' memory in the world. And he succeeded as the head of a company located in 108 countries.Read
In a country where Protestantism dominates, the chairman of the famous department of Orthodox Theology of the University of Munich, represents the modern face of Theology.Read
Writter's nickname at the time, Evi Κonstantinidou
In Patras, universities and research institutes showcase their small and great achievements of innovation bringing ideas to market, turning students into entrepreneurs and, most importantly, stimulating innovation.Read
BiHELab-Ionian University: Research at the BiHELab focuses on fundamental questions in geriatrics and neurodegeneration. Exploiting the power of a range of model organisms and the latest molecular, imaging and electrophysiological and computational technologies in neuroscience, BiHELab scientists explore some of the key processes underlying neuronal function and behavior. Faculty research interests are relevant for understanding neurological diseases including Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, ALS, autism-spectrum disorders, depression, anxiety, epilepsy and insomnias.
Stem Cell Laboratory-University of Patras: The group research is focused on understanding how regulatory mechanisms acting at the level of cell cycle regulation, transcriptional control and chromatin organization are intergraded in order to achieve stem/progenitor cell maintenance and commitment/differentiation and how deregulation of these processes leads to human disease like cancer and neurodegeneration.
Stem Cell Laboratory
Laboratory of Archaeometry-University of Peloponnese:The Laboratory of Archaeometry (established in 2007, in operation since 2010) is based at the Department of History, Archaeology and Cultural Resources Management, University of the Peloponnese. It is activated at analytical, non-invasive research of archaeological collections, absolute dating and palaeoenvironmental reconstruction studies. The Laboratory is active in regional (Prefecture of Peloponnese) and national level with academic, research institutions, the Ministry of Culture, also in collaboration with E.U. organizations through out research projects.
Laboratory of Archaeometry
Demetzos Lab-National & Kapodistrian University: The Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Nanotechnology (Demetzos Lab) belongs to the Section of Pharmaceutical Technology of the Department of Pharmacy of the School of Health Sciences, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (UoA). It is oriented in the area of applied nanotechnology, especially targeted drug delivery nanosystems and colloidal nanocarriers for therapeutic purposes. The lab has been and continues to be a participant in many international, european and national research programs. It is also in close collaboration with scientists and academic partners from institutions all over the world, as well as with a number of industries, aiming to produce scientific evidence that will aid the development and approval of innovative nanoproducts. It is also an active member of many scientific societies. Its director is Professor Costas Demetzos.
The Laboratory of Medical Physics belongs to the Medical School of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki and it’s the first medical physics laboratory in the Greek Higher Education. The Lab’s mission is to excel in training and multi-disciplinary research in a setting that fosters creativity and synergy. The Laboratory trains young doctors in the principles of physics, biomedical technology and their applications in the Health Sciences through the courses of Medical Physics and Biomedical Technology as well as Medical Education in the graduate programs of the Faculty of Health Sciences. The Lab also participates in the Inter-University postgraduate program in Medical Physics-Radiophysics, as well as, in postgraduate education of resident doctors in radiology, radiotherapy and nuclear medicine.
Medical Physics Laboratory
CephaloGenetics: A private research center involved in genetic diagnostics and applied clinical research. It is consisted by the Cephalogenetics Clinic and the Laboratory of Molecular Genetics. At the Cephalogenetics Clinic cases of craniofacial syndromes as well as orofacial and neurogenetic disorders are studied through clinical genetics, orofacial examination, pedigree analysis, genetic counseling. At the Laboratory of Molecular Genetics DNA samples isolated from blood, saliva and tissue are studied with molecular biology techniques such as PCR, RFLP analysis, gene sequencing and mutation identification.
Ready to book Vasiliki to speak at your next science or media meeting?
Ready to commission her to write and edit an article, a press release, an interview, or even a book?
Ready to consult with her to communicate your research to the public?
Ready to plan your next science event with her contribution?